Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

Too Big

1

Yesterday I spend the day with mentor and he told me a story about a visit to Ronald Regan's Oval Office.  The President was 'off-site' and my friend was receiving a private tour of the White House.  The tour was so 'behind the scenes' that my friend was allowed to walk behind the President's desk.  On the desk were three small tent cards.  Each had a quote.  Each helped keep the President focused and humble.  The card with the strongest message to me said, "You can get too big for God to use, but you can never be too small."  

How often do we become to big for God to use?  

I am on the staff of a Catholic Church. I run the Faith Formation Office.  The work that my staff and I do is very important.  However, sometimes we become too important.  Sometimes I make decisions thinking only of myself.  If all of my decisions are not considering God and His plan, then I am failing.

God has given me many talents and gifts.  I must strive to use these talents and gifts for His glory.  I must be working to make Him bigger.  Not me.

When working with people that seem to have fallen into a creative funk when it comes to planning lessons to be used at Church, I bring out one of my favorite lines.  THERE IS NO I, ME OR MY WHEN IS COMES TO DOING GOD'S WORK.  If it has become MY 7th grade catechism lesson I have failed.  It is all His!

Prayer for Simplicity

Lord, help me now to unclutter my life,
to organise myself in the direction of simplicity.

Lord, teach me to listen to my heart;
teach me to welcome change, instead of fearing it.

Lord, I give You these stirrings inside me,
I give You my discontent,
I give You my restlessness,
I give You my doubt
I give You my despair
I give You all the longings I hold inside.

Help me to listen to these signs of change, of growth;
to listen seriously and follow where they lead,
through the breathtaking empty space of an open door.

- Northumbria Community (from Celtic Daily Prayer)

1 Response to Too Big

June 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Great reflection, and neat quote. Thanks!

Post a Comment