Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

This Little Light

0

In my last post, I mentioned my son's recent hospitalizations. Two weeks ago he underwent his 20th surgery in his eight years. The surgery itself went well and did what it was supposed to do. His recovery, on the other hand, is not going as smoothly. This is the first time he has suffered any post-operative complications. At first we were crushed or shocked or scared, but everything is turning out alright.

My son was born handicapped. We were told before he was born that he would be disabled. We cried a little. Very little. We poured ourselves into learning about his birth defect and we prayed. Over the past 8 1/2 years a lot of prayers have been said. Not just by us but also by family members, friends, church parishioners and by complete strangers. Over the past 90 days God has heard lots of prayers of petition for him as well as many recent prayers of thanksgiving. He has become and remained the wonderful little but that he is due to many prayers and growing up a Christian.

The Good Book tells us my son and anyone else that has any sort of affliction is here to show the love of God. To be a light.

As he passed by he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus answered, "Neither he nor his parents sinned; it is so that the works of God might be made visible through him. We have to do the works of the one who sent me while it is day. Night is coming when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world." When he had said this, he spat on the ground and made clay with the saliva, and smeared the clay on his eyes, and said to him, "Go wash 3 in the Pool of Siloam" (which means Sent). So he went and washed, and came back able to see. His neighbors and those who had seen him earlier as a beggar said, "Isn't this the one who used to sit and beg?" Some said, "It is," but others said, "No, he just looks like him." He said, "I am."

Chapter 2 from John's Gospel
God loves to hear from us. He loves even more for us to show off his love for us. Learn not to see disabilities as a curse. Learn to use them to show-off God.

The Light of God before me.
The Light of God behind me.
The Light of God above me.
The Light of God beside me.
The Light of God within me.

From the Prayer of St. Patrick


No Response to "This Little Light"

Post a Comment